Saturday, July 11, 2009

Rehearsal Dinners/Family Gatherings

Ok, I know I haven't blogged in FOREVER due to circumstances out of my control.  However, I hope to blog more often.

I have been talking about weddings and one of the important traditions of a wedding is the rehearsal dinner.  My husband and I had to provide for our own rehearsal dinner so we decided to have good old fashioned Bar-B-Que (either pork, chicken, beef, you name it).  You can have this catered or you can make it yourself.  

If you are someone who loves to grill, there are many kinds of bar-b-que and grilling sauces available. If you wish to bar-b-que or grill chicken for your gathering may I suggest a Smokey Bacon Grill Sauce.  Although it tastes great on any grilled meat I personally prefer it with chicken.

Depending on the people at your event, if they are comfortable with a good old-fashioned cookout, you can dress up your hamburgers and steaks with a Merlot Sauce.  It gives your dish added flavor.

In addition to your main dish you need some fabulous sides.  If you are having a summer, outdoor gathering a nice salad is refreshing.  I love a nice spinach salad in the summer.  Instead of using iceberg lettuce, use raw baby spinach leaves.  Top it with slices of boiled egg, bacon, and raw mushrooms.  For dressing use a Vidalia Onion Dressing.  On the side serve Beer Bread.

Just a side note on beer bread.  You can use any carbonated beverage, you don't have to use beer.  I also discovered a yummy way of fixing beer bread is to brush it with Balsamic and Basil Dipping Oil and put it in the oven until it is crispy.  Then top it with shredded cheese and it is delicious!

There are many options for dessert in the summer time.  You can make classic dessert cheese balls, such as a Key Lime Cheese Ball or a Chocolate Cheese Ball. You can even serve refreshing drinks and smoothies to add a twist to your gathering. Most importantly, keep it simple and keep it fun!

3 comments:

  1. Mel, just reading this blog has made me really want to have a BBQ! And the different sauces you mentioned, make my mouth water! Will absolutely be checking them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you have mentioned some awesome ideas for the reception! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete